Above: Ran out of ideas on fixing the first one and so started on a smaller piece. It still needs work.
Below : Looks like I didnt manage to make the head bigger even though I thought I had. Thinking too about ways to improve on the background.
My hand slipped while taking a print last night and I got this foggy misty effect. Mostly due to the fact that there was a thick layer of acrylic paint and I’d sprayed too much water thinking that the acrylic paint might dry! I’m not disappointed as I like to experiment. The plan is to add something more to rescue this and the other two monotypes. Any suggestions?
Fierce or menacing? You choose.
pen & ink (ballpoint) in my sketchbook.
photo ref copyright Anil Advani. used with permission.
I’m sort of stuck on this one. Not a new experience at all 😀 I was fiddling around with the image and trying out a few possibilities. The first photo is of where the painting is at now. The second one is a crop that I thought might make it look better as the empty spaces seem too evenly spaced in the first. And the 3rd is based on this weeks Illustration Friday topic “electricity”. I’ve created a kind of spotlight effect on the subjects. I’m leaning towards the 3rd as it fills up the space better but I’m not sure I can paint that effect 😛
What do you think? Any preferences? Any other suggestions?
Going through my usual settling back in period. A fun photo shoot helped me start the first one and the second happened when I got stuck on the first. Both are at the “ugly” stage but I’m just happy to have started.
The first is based on a photo reference taken at Jama Masjid 3 years ago. The second is loosely based on my recollection of a photograph that I’d seen a few days back. I have not used the reference for this one as I’m attempting to move away from relying completely on photographs.
Update : May 8, 2008 : you can see the finished piece here.
The first 3 are from life. The two still lifes were set up with a small table lamp used as a spot light and the 3rd is of my friend painting. The last is from a photo reference. I plan to create a still life setup at home too so that I can continue to inch closer towards the target of a 100.
I’ve been feeling very restless lately. I think it was ten days ago when last I worked on my piece for the portrait swap. At first I was waiting for some feedback and now I dont even know what it is that I’m waiting for!
In the meantime, I pulled out this photograph of a friend of mine and had a go. Using acrylics after a break and once again having a problem with blending. Gave up before the hour was up as the board was warping with all the water I’d added. 😀
For the first time I used watercolour brushes. Of the two I preferred the synthetic one to the sable but I found the longer tips and shorter handles a bit difficult to use and added a bristle brush to the mix. Still trying to paint loose without too many details.
8″ X 10″ acrylics on illustration board
Update : November 23, 2007 : Worked some more on the portrait today. Still very much a limited palette. Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue ( used by mistake 😛 ) Yellow Ochre, Titanium White and a teeny weeny bit of Sap Green. And oh I did use and equally tiny amount of cadmium red medium.
November 21, 2007 : I am making very slow progress on the WetCanvas Annual Portrait swap project. Incredible portraits have been started, finished and are in the process of being mailed out. If you want a treat go and have a look.
I’m one of the few in the group still stuck in the early stages. The 10″ by 12″ canvas board proved to be too small. I was waiting for my husband to return with some larger canvas boards [ i always have an excuse 😛 ]. Giving it another go on one that is 12″ by 16″.
The first layer was drawn using burnt sienna thinned down with turpentine. Today, I added in some white and burnt umber to separate out the light and dark areas. I’ve managed to shorten the length of the face a bit today but it needs to be shortened some more and the features need to be reworked. Leaving that for tomorrow night. 😀
Todays lesson was about expressing emotions using line and then using spontaneity in making an “action” painting.
Homework is to do more of these with a title for each piece and an analysis of what we see in the results.
We found the small coffee table restrictive and by the time the second exercise came around the chairs were deserted for the floor.