In my scatty way, I’ve missed marking the usual milestones of blog birthdays, 100th post etc.. Told myself that I would write a post on the stats for all 3 art blogs when Maya crossed the 50k mark. It happened in early Jan. Unlike some of the other milestones, getting to this number was more due to you than me. I would like to thank you for all the encouragement and for visiting regularly. Look forward to seeing more of you in 2008!
Yesterday was my last CD & AA session for the year. A third kind of line was discussed in detail, described as the lyric line. We used a thin brush with ink for this exercise. I could not break away completely from my normal style to make the right kind of marks. I would start correctly but lose my way within minutes. For the 3rd piece below I just gave up half way and started enjoying trying to capture a likeness of Javed who was posing for us for these pieces. I intend to do a few soon and attempt to draw sweeping lines to depict the form. One stroke for a line or a curve and no restating for this exercise 😀
Todays task at Kuhu’s was to add colour to our charcoal drawings and to not spend too much time on any one drawing. We still needed repeated reminders 😀 I was carrying my inks and having been happy with earlier results decided to go ahead and use them for colour. And I was pleased with the results by the time I hit number 3.
Tried to follow Kuhu’s advice for number 4. Our model was by now sitting with bright light from the window falling over on one side. I was to put in details on the shadow side and leave the other side with as few details as possible. A tough task as I’m still at the overworking stage!
Finally, I was to add colour only in the shadowed areas of his shirt. Kuhu helped by adding the shadows for the back ground on the left and added highlights to the beard using an eraser to explain how we could make the white beard stand out more without adding dark lines to it. It was a nice demo.
This one would’ve been my favourite if I had had the time to add some more shadows and correct his shoulders. I love the body that the beard has in it though. It reminds me of another piece that I came across recently, made a couple of years ago where I had managed to depict body on another white beard. Problem is that I had forgotten how I did it and about it until I saw the photograph of the piece on the computer!
Dadu – charcoal, crayon and ink on cream coloured light weight paper. A step up for me from the newsprint that I was using earlier 😀