As an exercise on learning to mix colors, my next few paintings will be made with a limited palette of 4 colors – Titanium White, Crimson Lake, Ultramarine Blue and Chrome Yellow Deep Hue. Following the MacPherson book I was looking for Alzarin Crimson and Cadmium Yellow Pale but they werent available at the local art store. I took what to me seemed closest to them as replacements. I did not want any further delays.
I’m using a photograph that I’d taken of Sayaka in college as a reference. I will add photos of progress to this post as I go along.
Update: Dec 14, 2006: I’ve made some corrections to the shape. I can see some more that I need to make immediately. I have put in a layer of the light values on the face and will go in with the mid values tomorrow.
Update: Dec 15, 2006: Started adding in the details and now want to further seperate the light, dark and shadow.
11″ X 13″ oil on unstretched canvas